Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ignorance makes for a lot of Hard Work

In my early years when Wayne and I were dating he would always invite me to go to tho gym and workout with him and I would kindly decline. One day Wayne asked me why I wouldn't go to the gym with him and in my youth of ignorance I said " Have you seen my mother I have her genes. I will never be fat." If there was ever a sentence I could have stricken from the record it would be that one. Now, I can say that I was active when I was younger and that I never struggled with my weight until after I had Kaitlyn. At that point I had the working out thing down pat, but I still wanted to eat whatever I wanted and I did. By the time I got prego with Ty I was at what I thought was my biggest ever. Then Ty came out and then I realized was now at my biggest weighing in at 160 lbs. At that moment I was sure that I would be able to change my eating and get into a good routine and get the weight off in six months. Well a year later I had only lost 5 lbs (sad I know). Once again I had the exercise thing down, but my eating still lacking.
One day when I was watching Oprah and she said something that has stuck with me ever since. She said that every time you mess up with your diet and you tell yourself "I will start tomorrow" or for me it was "I will start Monday" and you don't and you mess up again and you say "I will start tomorrow" you are lying to yourself. That hit me like a ton of bricks, I was lying to myself a lot.


I found a workout program called P90X. It is hard and you sweat and it kicks your butt everyday, but I love it! I went from not being able to do one push-up to doing 10. I can see the definition in my arms and legs. I didn't reach my goal in 90 days, but I know it is because I still have room to improve with my eating. I am working on it and hope to make my goal by January 1st.
Here are my stats thus far:
Day 1- Day 93
weight: 157 -weight 151
chest: 38" -chest: 36 1/4"
waist: 36"- waist: 34 1/4"
hips: 40" -hips: 38"
r arm: 11 3/4" -r arm: 12"
l arm: 12"- l arm: 12"
r thigh:25" -r thigh: 24"
l thigh: 25" -l thigh: 24"

I want everyone to know that if I didn't have such amazing friends and an amazing husband I would have never had the motivation to take on such an extreme fitness program. I look at Camille and the strength she has when it comes to what she eats. When she has her mind set it seems like nothing stops her from her goal ( not even the sweets). She has totally set the bar. I love Kelly's perseverance and determination to get fit and stay healthy. I love Amanda and Kathryn's love for fitness. I am thankful for the example my mom has set for me. These women have been a great influence to me . I am so thankful that Wayne has supported this life style change without complaining once. I am also thankful to my kids for giving me the full hour and 20 minutes each day without interruption. I can honestly say that I am no longer ignorant to what it takes to stay fit and healthy. I just wish it hadn't taken me sooo long.

6 comments:

Trinity said...

What a great story. I love your determination. Staying fit is not the easiest thing in the world but the benefits definitely outweigh the pain and time you put into it.

Kelly said...

Taryn you are awesome not to mention you look smokin hot! Dang it why can't we eat whatever we want with no consequences. I admire your determination. Keep it up girl!

Rachelle said...

I totally feel your pain with the eating thing. I used to eat whatever I wanted (minus sugar) and gain nothing. Then I got sick, had surgery and gained a ton of weight. I have been trying to get motivated to lose weight and it has been so hard to stay on track. Thanks for the pep talk.

Kim said...

That is awesome Taryn, although I think you already look incredible! Way to go!! I too am hoping to reach my weight loss goal by January 1. Good Luck!! Love Ya!

Kim said...

I have nominated you to receive an award! Check out my blog to receive it. Congratulations!!

KA said...

I think that I'm still in the yoyo phase that comes right before total determination. Right behind you!