Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sarah, It's all your fault!

A little over a month ago my best friend Sarah talked me into trying the whole coupon shopping thing. I asked her if it was really worth it and after telling me that within the short time she had been using them she was able to get 7 months of food storage. Food storage had really been on my mind a lot at that time, so she told me about some of the basic techniques and I was on my way.

Now I am going to ask you a question that Sarah asked on her blog not to long ago.
How much would you pay for:
6 bags of Green Giant veggie steamers
7 bags of Birds Eye veggie steamers
2 gallons of milk
1 bag of Wholesome Goodness cat food
10 cans of Wholesome Goodness cat food
4 48 oz. bottles of Crisco cooking oil
8 tubs of Land o Lake butter
3 boxed of Jolly Time popcorn
1 15lbs. bag of Russet Potatoes
5 1 pound containers of table salt
5 boxes of baking soda
2 pks of McCormick gravy mixes
10 boxes of Lipton dry soup mix
8 cans of Del Monte vegies
4 cans of Campbell's beef gravy
4 cans of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
4 cans of Swanson Broth
4 cans of Carnation Evaporated milk
3 boxes of Swiss Miss cocoa mix
6 boxes of Pillsbury brownie mix
4 boxes of Betty Crocker brownie mix
8 boxes of Kellogg's Cereal
or
8 boxes of Nestle cocoa mix
7 10 oz. bottles of Vaseline Lotion
4 boxes of Excedrin PM 50 ct
1 bottle of juice
2 treats for kids
or
10 packs of 80 ct wipes
4 dozen eggs
2 half gallons of Dryers Ice Cream
1 2 liter of A&W Root Beer
1 story book
1 coloring book
3 8oz. blocks of Cache Valley Cheese

Well on the first one without the sale or coupon I would have paid $240.32. I ended up only paying $89.97 that is a $150.35 savings.
on the second on I would have paid $60.45. I ended up paying $27.69 that is a $32.76 savings.
And on the last one I would have paid $67.63. I ended up paying $29.79 that is a $37.84 savings.

If it were not for Sarah's persistence I would be paying the before price. I am so thankful that she has taught me the tricks of the trade. I has made such a difference in our home. In 2 months I have nearly 4 months of food storage (if not more). Something that I have not been able to do in the 9 years Wayne and I have been married (not that I didn't try). I have been able to cut our food budget almost in half.

So, Sarah this is all your fault!
And I thank you every time I go shopping.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Awesome!! I hope I can be as good of a shopper as you have become. Thank you so much for helping me. You Rock!!

The Nixons said...

wow that's fabulous!!! Now you've got to share the tricks with the rest of us (me)! That would be great to save a little money each month.

Jen said...

Okay so you need to tell me what the trick is with the coupon shopping. i have no idea and would love to learn.

Trinity said...

I love coupons! I just don't use them as much as I should. I'm so happy that your putting the word out there for all of us, because we really do need it. I am definitely a bargain shopper when it comes to almost everything else, food should be no different.

Bambi said...

Wow. You totally have to tell me what you are doing. I am trying to get our food storage worked on. But it is SO expensive and hard when things are tight as it is. So please email me your tricks. poulson.wif@gmail.com

Kim said...

Wow...That is awesome! You are going to have to show me what you are doing when I get home. I need to save as much money as possible on food! Can't wait to see ya!

Rachelle said...

I have been haphazardly trying to do coupons after you told me how much you saved but I am floundering. I need your help. Maybe you can do a workshop.

KA said...

Impressive! I've dabbled with couponsense and couponmom and freebies at Walgreens. But, as with most things...I haven't been able to stay consistent for 4 whole months. Well done!

Camille said...

You are amazing!!!

Lori said...

Wow, I love how you displayed everything! I really need to start the coupon thing.

crazy burnett6 said...

awesome!!!your welcome!! wish we could've gotten together last week. love ya,miss ya!

Melissa said...

Way to go. I love the feeling of getting a bargin